Thursday, June 14, 2018

FIFA World Cup part 1 of 4 - what a wonderful excuse to learn Sitecore 9

Introduction

Ever since Sitecore 9 was announced at the symposium my fingers have been itching to try out the new features. This has been overdue for half a year now, but finally time has allowed me to take a deeper dive into Sitecore 9.
Luckily FIFA had their planning spot on for me to apply my training to a project; make an office pool for the outcome of the World Cup group matches. My weapons of choice:
  1. Basic Sitecore
    Define the groups and matches in Sitecore for use throughout the steps.
  2. Sitecore Forms
    Create form with a custom fieldtype which reflects the groups and matches.
    Identify the contact via a save action.
    Save the answers to a new contact facet.
    Award a custom goal for contact list segmentation.
  3. Sitecore Marketing Automation
    Create a custom form action for awaiting match result and scoring contacts.
    Create a default plan and automatically duplicate when each match is concluded.
  4. Sitecore XConnect
    Gather data to display leaderboards and statistics.

Whether the chosen route is the most direct is debatable, I concede that parts of this could have been much easier by purely custom code - but the goal of this exercise is to learn, fail and inspire.

I won't cover every step I have taken, but will share my thoughts and try to link the relevant documentation and blog posts that helped me along my way.

Part 1 - Basic Sitecore

While the basic Sitecore setup brings nothing new to the table, I will do a quick rundown for reference on the later steps.

The idea is to create each individual match only once manually. The forms and Marketing Automation will use these as datasource. These matches will also have a layout, to be able to show statistics and scoring for the individual matches.

Without further ado, this is the setup:

Screenshot of the matches folder and data